Opens New Plant, Expands Omega-3-based Product Line
LAVAL, Québec, CANADA (June 16, 2014) — Neptune Technologies & Bioressources announced the opening of its newly constructed plant in Sherbrooke, Québec. The new facility is able to produce more than 150 metric tons of krill oil annually and is equipped to allow for a doubling of capacity going forward. On top of focusing on the production of Neptune’s proprietary krill oil (NKO®), three new formulations will be launched that benefit heart and circulation, bones and joints, and brain and vision health.
The new plant features robust safety measures and technologies, which allow for optimized manufacturing. For instance, because of the phospholipid content of krill oil, suppliers sometimes encounter issues of flowability and appearance. At Neptune’s new facility, both equipment upgrades and new manufacturing practices overcome these challenges. The result is a product with improved viscosity, which facilitates encapsulation, and enhanced bioactives, giving Neptune customers distinct advantages in marketability.
“We’ve gone to great lengths to protect our process, employees and ability to provide superior forms of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids,” said Michel Timperio, Senior Vice President, Global Sales. “In the last 18 months, we’ve revisited our processes to, expanded capacity and developed new products featuring NKO®. In a market where product differences are scarce, Neptune’s products put the Corporation in a strong position to offer our customers a differentiated offering.”
While under construction, Neptune developed three new condition-specific formulas. Each includes NKO®, which enhances absorption rates of complementary ingredients.
- NKO®Beat — Neptune added Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) among other ingredients to support heart health and healthy circulation. Combined with NKO®, Neptune’s study showed CoQ10 had 25 times better absorption rate when compared to a generic CoQ10.*
- NKO®Flex — Neptune added Vitamin D to NKO® along with other ingredients to support bone and joint health. Combining high potency vitamin D with NKO® results in up to two times increased digestion of vitamin D2.
- NKO®Focus — To support brain and vision health, Neptune formulated a blend that includes thiamine and lutein among other ingredients. When combined with NKO®, Neptune’s studies show lutein’s absorption is improved by as much as eight times.*
Neptune pioneered the krill oil industry in 2003 with the introduction of NKO® which gave the company a stronghold in the market and a coveted ingredient among nutraceutical manufacturers and distributors. NKO® has the highest amount of bioactives in the industry. Research has found that the phospholipid-enhanced omega-3 in NKO® allows for easier digestion and 2.5 times (2.4x) higher absorption rates than those found in fish oils. Because of a patented extraction process, NKO® also supplies seven times (7x) more antioxidant, astaxanthin, than other krill oils.
Neptune will celebrate its new plant and continue educating the market about the NKO® line at the upcoming conventions (complete schedule at neptunekrilloil.com):
- Food Ingredients Asia-China, Shanghai, June 26-28, Booth No. E5D15
- Food Ingredients South-America, Sao Paulo, August 5-7. Booth No. H113
- SupplySide West 2014, Las Vegas, October 9-10, Booth No. 21125
About Neptune Technologies & Bioressources
Founded in 1998, Neptune pioneered the krill oil industry, creating a new generation of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids with enhanced phospholipid content, which have demonstrated higher absorption rates than fish oil. Featuring a patented extraction process (US 6800299); Neptune earned “Friend of the Sea” certification for its sustainable krill harvesting practices (Euphausia superba) in the Antarctic Ocean. Krill in this fishery are free of potentially harmful levels of heavy metals and contaminants.
More information is available at www.neptunekrilloil.com
* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.